Thursday, March 1, 2012

Do You Know What Your Style Personality Is?

How important it is to know your style?  Well, I believe it is the all time most necessary thing – you have to know what looks good and what is not for you. 

With all the fashion trends and their never-ending turns, what’s hot today may be all the rage, but that still doesn’t mean that you need to climb yourself up in that outfit.  Just because it looks good on the mannequin…humans are a whole nother thing.

The situation:

How many times have you seen one of your girls in the cutest little strapless jumpsuit.  You run on down to the store and get you one just like it.  Rush back home, put it in your closet and say to yourself “I am going to wear this bad boy to the party on Saturday and I am gonna be cute with my heels and my little purse and I’m gonna wear my drape earrings and my long necklaces and….blah blah blah.  You KNOW you fixin’ rep for real!  Saturday, you get your hair done, fresh eyebrow threaded, take your bath and then go to put on your glorious jumpsuit.  You look in the mirror….ummm….then you turn around….hmmm……..then you back up from the mirror and straighten the outfit out…..uuhhh…..walk up close to the mirror again…shimmy your shoulders so the material lays correctly….wait a damn minute here...then the frown comes.  What the hell?  This is…this ain’t workin’.  And you can’t figure out why it looks crazy?  Well, I’ll tell you why.

Because you didn’t take into account that you and your friend have two entirely different body types.  What works for one does not work for all. 

A few general fashion tips:

In general, there are rules that if you stick to them, you do a little better when picking out your clothes.  If you are short, try to find clothes that elongate your body.  If you are a bigger girl, don’t wear humongous clothes.  Women always think they need to have on super big when they are full figured, but what’s more important is that it fits.  Not that it has a whole bunch of room.  This is double important for girls with big boobs.  Because big boobs look even bigger in a super blousy shirt.  If you have broad shoulders, wear things that soften the points of your shoulders, not bring attention to it.  Racer backs makes broad shoulders look even more broad.  If you aren’t hippy, create the illusion by breaking up a shirt or a dress with a belt.  Short legs, don’t wear cropped pants or longer dresses (that cut you off at the shin).  It gives you that chopped off look.  If you want to not make hips look so wide, wear a blouse or jacket that stops right at the fullest part of your hips.  The material lays right on top of your hip and gives you a clean straight silhouette.  These are just a few.  Many of them are common sense, but I’m telling you, I see people all the time who don’t really know what looks good for their body.

Do you know what you like?  What your style personality is?  Me, I love frilly, feminine type clothes, but I also like to wear things fitted and close to my body.  I feel the best when I have on something that I feel sexy in.  And sexy doesn’t have to be revealing.  So don’t mistake the two.  I have a long sleeve silk florally shirt that has long blousy arms and ties around a very high neck and I think it is one of my sexiest shirts.  It’s something about the material, and the beautiful pinks and purples and periwinkles in it.  I love jeans.  Mostly because you can dress them up or down.  I’m not much of a dress person, but I always feel pretty and girlie in them.   I am not much of a trend person, but I will season my wardrobe with a few of the latest and greatests (and I wont spend a fortune on ANYTHING trendy), but for me, I like to keep more traditional.  I love the whole military look out right now, but except for this red blazer I have, I don’t think I’m gonna fully engulf myself in the look.  I’ve seen the long cute double breasted trench coats and all that, but I imagine that it may not stick around past this season. So no.  You know what seemed to be a pretty good investment?  Patent Leather.  I bought my first pair of patent leather shoes w/ the peekaboo toe that everyone was (and still is) wearing back in 2005.  Do you know they are  STILL running strong?  Patent leather, I keep thinking it is going to fade away but nope, it is still giving us a run for our money.  I just saw that the new thing right now is neon paten leather.  Which I’m still not sure if I will add to my collection….well.  Maybe.  I think the best investment I made back then were some patent leather boots from Nine West that I still wear today.

Owning the attitude:

Feeling good in your clothes is another so important thing.  When you have on an outfit and you spend the entire time pulling the hem down or readjusting yourself in it, or you hate to look in the mirror because you don’t like it or you can’t stop looking in the mirror because you hate it, then that isn’t the one for you!  Nobody or nothing can make you feel cute if you are awkward in it. 

What I won’t wear?  Can’t do the flat shoe.  I have tried you guys.  I am still trying.  I been trying to get a pair of the cute flat boots that come up to the knee  that everyone has been rocking for about two boot seasons now and no dice.  No go.  It goes back to the way you feel in something.  Heels make me feel sexy…flats make me feel….well, flat.  Boring.  And though people don’t believe me, sometimes flats hurt my feet.  My arch, which is high, really appreciates the support of a high heel, if that makes sense.  But it sucks, because I WANT to like a flat shoe.  You know, all my friends have the cute flat boots, they throw on their UGGS (which I hate by the way…UGG just has to stand for UGGly…yes, I know they are amazingly comfortable and soft and warm…) on the weekend when we run to the mall or something, and then here I come out the house with the heels and everyone thinks I’m doing the most.  Really Roxanne?  I just don’t own a flat shoe I feel good in.  Sue me.

Get to know YOU!

I want you all to be really aware of what you buy, what looks good on you, and most importantly what FEELS good on you.  I think if you keep in mind that we are in a recession and your purchases need to be smart both economically and aesthetically, you’ll be on the right path.  Because the two go together.  Don’t be afraid to go into stores you don’t usually frequent, because that may just be the place that you find the perfect shirt, pants, or dress.  Take risks but let them be calculated.  Buy cute, buy quality, buy (some) trends, buy fun, buy stylish.  Buy smart. 

 itsrox

2 comments:

  1. Great post.. I have a long torso and sometimes i wonder what i can do to balance my body in my clothes..ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Rox!
    Fashion, le sigh. I am a plus size girl (very plus) and unless I am willing to pay and arm, leg and down payment on my 2 baby toes, clothing options just suck! I like to feel comfortable but of course cute. For now it is cute blouses, soft sweater that enhance the chest without overboard on the clevage. Jeans are my best friends but this thick waist and straight hips makes for lots of muffins tops, hence a good blouse and sweater. I live in sneakers because me feet talk trash if I don't so yea. I will say that at the end of this weight loss journey of mine, I will be doing some serious shopping.

    ReplyDelete